Database transfer is the method of moving databases between storage types, formats, or computer systems. Businesses and companies needs to move their databases for numerous reasons, such as server or storage equipment replacements, servicing or upgrades, application migration, website consolidation and data center relocation. The method requires moving of all database objects and classes: table definitions, data, indexes, constraints, views, triggers, stored procedures and functions, user accounts, roles and permissions.
Databases can be moved manually or programmatically through the use of specific program known as database migration tools. Manual method normally includes these steps:
- export table definitions along with indexes and constraints from the source database in form of SQL statements
- convert these statements into the destination format and import to the target database
- export data from the source database into an intermediate storage like comma separated values (CSV) files
- transform the data according to the destination format and load it to the target database
- extract views, stored procedures/functions and triggers from the original database in form of SQL statements and code
- convert these statements and code into the destination format and load into the target database
After loading into the new computer system, the resulting data needs to be validated so as to see whether the database was correctly transferred, complete and possesses appropriate supports for programs within the new system. It could be important for the smooth running of both source and destination database systems simultaneously during verification to recognize parts of disparity, prevent loss of data or data corruption.
For big and complicated database projects migration, it is best carried out programmatically to accomplish an automated process flow, while liberating human resources from challenging tasks. It is really important to decide on the proper tool to move the database within the required length of time without loss of data or data corruption. Below is a list of key features ought to be delivered by excellent database migration tools:
- all recent versions of source and destination DBMS are supported
- table definitions, indexes and constraints are converted with all necessary attributes
- conversion settings must be stored into a profile for next use
- full Unicode support
- option to customize types mapping, conversion rules, etc
- command line support
- comprehensive documentation and 24/7 support service
You will find a wide variety of software providers that offer specialized tools to automate database migration. An example of such vendors is Intelligent Converters dedicated to database conversion, migration and synchronization since 2001. We develop a wide variety of conversion tool to move databases between all well-known database management systems like PostgreSQL, MySQL, Oracle, SQL Server, Azure SQL, Microsoft Access, FoxPro and SQLite. Visit http://www.intelligent-converters.com to find out more about Intelligent Converters as well as their software.